Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Solutions to stop flannel from pilling!

Flannel...good old flannel...it's so soft and snuggly ..and...full of pills!  A couple of nights ago, I made a rag quilt from designer flannel so that I didnt have to worry so much about it pilling (it does make a difference ..so don't buy the cheap walmart flannel if you're going to make a flannel blanket!).  Anyway, I pulled it from the drier ..and ... saw some pills.  For any of you who know me well, you already know what I'm about to say.  It made my skin just crawl!!  I immediately ran to Walmart and bought some new razors, ran back home and layed the blanket out and started shaving the pills off.  I don't like spending that much time making something and have it not be perfect...it must be perfect.  My husband looked at me like I was a complete nut that I was shaving a blanket. lol

So..after that episode, I decided it was time to hunt for a solution for me and a solution for my customers, family and friends.  Here's what I found:

First- Never wash flannel in anything but cold/warm water. Never wash it in hot water! 
Second- Always wash flannel on the gentle cycle.
Third- always dry flannel on the gentle/delicate cycle (or better yet, let it air dry).

With those three "rules" in mind, here's what you need to do:


Wash your flannel blankets, sheets, etc. in one cup of White Vinegar without any detergent or liquid fabric softner.  Dry them on delicate (or air dry).  You can use a fabric sheet if you wish.  After you have done this method the first time, this will remove the pilling.  To keep the items from pilling in the future, was the flannels on cold/warm on gentle cycle with your regular detergent but then add a half cup of vinegar during the rinse cycle!

I hope this helps!  If I find an even better way to prevent pilling, I'll update the blog.  I've looked high and low and keep seeing this method to be the best.

Happy washing!  Be well!

Amy



1 comment: